This thing is persistently following me: I think I completed a task, only to learn that I am merely halfway through.
I cut the three inch thermal break around the first floor edge and thought I was done. But something in the back of my mind kept nagging me:
How does this three inch gap work with the spray foam insulation?
The spray polyurethane foam (SPF), in particular the open cell foam has a very high expansion rate (1 in 100). When the foam is applied to the basement wall and ceiling, it would bubble up through the three inch thermal break and make a big mess.
While thinking about how to resolve this problem, I had a ‘that pile of trash is now my treasure’ moment.
I had a pile of two inch XPS insulation scraps lying around. I had moved them out of the way a number of times and was ready to throw them out. Thank God I didn’t!
The scraps were easily cut into three inch wide strips that I then jammed into the three inch wide thermal break gap. Not only did I successfully plug that gap, but I did so maintaining the effectiveness of the thermal break.
I only hope that experiences like this won’t turn me into a hoarder.